Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Blog 5

This week, I'm looking at an artist named Robert Rauschenberg. He was a pop artist who used appropriation where he juxtaposed a previously made work of art and put his own spin on it. This particular piece of his, he took a comic book from the 1960's and clipped a piece of it to appropriate. He scaled it in to just the girl's face, and changed the text from "I don't care if I have a cramp! I'd rather sink-- than call Mel for help!" to "I don't care! I'd rather sink-- than call Brad for help!"
He changed the art from the original meaning to something different and perhaps modernized it slightly. The humorous concept of the piece is that the girl was so upset with her boyfriend or maybe ex-boyfriend that she wouldn't want to ask him for help to save her from drowning. (the work is titled "Drowning Girl")
This relates to my work in a sense that I am taking something well known (comics were popular in the 60's, and particularly DC comics) and modernizing it by relating the piece to technology and today's culture.


https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/lichtenstein-drowning-girl-1963

1 comment: