In this piece I am making yet another technology statement, as this is the "theme" for my concentration. For this work in particular, I am appropriating "The Treachery of Images", as I said before. Instead of a pipe being the focus of the painting, I will replace it with an iPhone. Formally, since the pipe had shades of brown and some yellows and whites, I am going to paint a black iPhone so that I can have shades of grey, black, and white (maybe blue as well). The idea behind his work that states "This Is Not a Pipe" is a phrase explaining that although it is a painting of a pipe, it isn't a pipe. But it is. It's a picture of a pipe, just not the real thing. In the same way, my painting of a phone isn't really a phone, but it is at the same time. Technology hasn't changed the whole world, but it has. We still have families, like we always have, we have friends and relationships, we have presidents and leaders and the news. But now it has changed because so much of our life is centered around technology as a means of communication. Whether we like to admit it or not, there is little to no avoiding the constant feed of information. Technology has slowly become a way of life...whether or not it's always a good or bad thing.
So far, I have drawn the phone, text, and painted the background. In past pieces, I have addressed specific ideas, such as children with technology, and the idea of family time and relationships that are altered because of technology, but for this piece, it is more of a general development of our society statement. After I finish this, I will be appropriating another work of Magritte's. That will be included in later blogs.

Nice blog Jenna. Good decision and consideration of the color palette within the context of this work. Also, very thoughtful comparison of the work with your own with regards to meaning.
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool, Jenna! I love your technology theme, and it's gonna be a great concentration! Keep us updated with this piece - I'm intrigued!!
ReplyDelete