Sunday, November 29, 2015

Blog 6

*late post that should have been for November 11

During my latest project, I studied the work of Renée Magritte, and specifically his piece "The Treachery of Images". I can say that I learned how tedious it must have been for him to have painted this because painting smooth and seamless letters (actual letters, like a, b, c) is quite the challenge. I honestly haven't looked at many other artists because it is difficult for me to find artists who have work that relates to what I am doing, but I'm working on that. Formally, (in my project) I wanted to achieve a clear and opaque background with smooth lettering, including the words that I chose to keep and/or cut out of the piece (altering from the original). I wanted the phone in the middle to have an imaginary texture similar to that of the pipe in the original piece. Conceptually, this piece shows a change in society, but also has the same idea of Magritte's piece, meaning that the picture is a phone, but it isn't really a phone...but it is a phone (it gets kind of confusing). Magritte said "Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
This can somewhat reply to my technology statements. We often hide true relationships with family and friends with our technology, and although we may keep in touch with them through smart phones and laptops and tablets, that is the exact thing that can mask a real relationship with them. We want to see them, but they are hidden by our technology. ((more to come in the next blog I'm making up, hopefully with a new artist to talk about))

1 comment:

  1. ..."We often hide true relationships with family and friends with our technology, and although we may keep in touch with them through smart phones and laptops and tablets, that is the exact thing that can mask a real relationship with them. We want to see them, but they are hidden by our technology. “ Jenna, it looks like your work is evolving conceptually with this statement. Perhaps you can look for ways to insert this idea further. See http://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/blog/creative-appropriation-the-smallest-move-is-often-the-hardest as well that might be helpful in looking for other artist’s who deal with appropriation (also in an email).

    ReplyDelete