Monday, January 11, 2016

Blog 10

Once again, my objective is basically to explore the elements of appropriation by making statements about technology through the pieces that I choose to appropriate.

As I move on to my next project, I have decided to appropriate another piece by René Magritte called The Son of Man, which I mentioned in my last blog. I will most likely maintain the same techniques and the same color palette as the piece (pictured below), but I will replace an element of the painting (most likely the fruit on his face) with something that relates technologically to present-day culture. I enjoy Magritte's work because his pieces are fairly straightforward and sometimes simple to analyze, though it is still highly conceptual. Also, since he is a well-known artist, his work is great for the use of appropriation.


**also for those who said they didn't understand this, here's what Magritte said**
"At least it hides the face partly well, so you have the apparent face, the apple, hiding the visible but hidden, the face of the person. It's something that happens constantly. Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see. There is an interest in that which is hidden and which the visible does not show us. This interest can take the form of a quite intense feeling, a sort of conflict, one might say, between the visible that is hidden and the visible that is present.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

7 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I have loved your past pieces that incorporate your ideas about technology. You are a very advanced artist and I love your works! I am excited to see what is to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your ideas about appropriation and it really shows how much you think about your artwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, to be honest I'm not sure what the picture means, but I'm excited to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this picture. I don't really understand it, but that's why I love it the most! Your work from last semester was great and each piece had its own message, which added to the already present uniqueness. I am excited to see what you produce this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your work is so cool! I can relate so much t today's technology taking over so I love how you include it in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's amazing how you're using other people's artwork and altering it to make your own original pieces. The concept of taking modern day technology and infusing it in paintings from the past (I found out the Son of Man is from 1946 by a SURREALIST painter-- and the surrealism movement was in the 1920s. This painting is crazy old) is really intriguing. There is some serious juxtaposition going on here and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenna,
    I like your parameters, that are similar to Magritte: ...” fairly straightforward and sometimes simple to analyze, though it is still highly conceptual.” Keep these, it’s working for you.

    ReplyDelete