Thursday, December 3, 2015

Blog 8

(December 2 blog)

This week, I asked my art teacher for some suggestions of artists to observe and research, as I have been struggling to find work that I can relate to and artists who use the type of appropriation that I do. The person she suggested was Sherrie Levine. She creates art that is appropriation from 20th century pieces, whether it is with photography, watercolor, or other mediums. Through her work, she questions "Modernist myths of originality and authenticity", and argues that because of how modernist art has developed, it is nearly impossible to truly create something new. Mainly her work applies to mine because she conceptually and formally pursues appropriation, however, my pieces typically have different underlying concepts. Here are some of her pieces! (the gold one has the original before it)



3 comments:

  1. Excellent connection. Continue to explore this artist and the others I mentioned as your concepts continue to develop in each piece. What do you think about her work?
    Mrs. Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird because it looks simple formally, but she puts a lot more time and conceptual thought into it than meets the eye. I typically like to look at work that is visibly complex, but this is a good opportunity to explore something that I don't expose myself to as much.

      Delete
  2. Very true. Great mindset to have in moving forward.
    Mrs. Miller

    ReplyDelete