In this blog, I intend to explore the areas that interest me most in art, and currently, that area is appropriation. I want to find ways to transform well known pieces into something that relates to today, specifically by incorporating technology. I want to make as many statements as possible through my art about technological advances, whether it is a positive or negative element. Here I will explore how other artists with the same interests translate those ideas into their work, and I may find that I want to use similar techniques.
Thus far I have appropriated:
Norman Rockwell's "Freedom From Want", the Gerber Baby logo, and an ad for apples called "Apple Kids" from the 1950's. Next, I will either incorporate the work of Whistler, Hopper, or Magritte. I have not decided which one I want to appropriate first, but I imagine I will use the work of all three artists in my next few projects.
Nighthawks by Edward Hopper
1942
(http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hopper/street/hopper.nighthawks.jpg)

I love your paintings so far! I'm excited to see what happens with your artwork by the end of the year!
ReplyDelete